Established in 1855, Allen County was one of the original 36 counties of Kansas. It is named after William Allen, a U.S. Senator from Ohio who was an advocate for western expansion. The county seat is Iola, Kansas.
Allen County Attractions and Events:
- Biblesta...A Bible themed parade and fiesta held the first Saturday of October in Humboldt, Kansas. This event started in 1957 and continues today. The official website for the event is: http://www.biblesta.com/index.html
- Old Allen County Jail in Iola. This historic building was built in 1869 and today is home to a museum ran by the Allen County Historical Society.
- Boyhood home of Major General Frederick Funston. Moved from it's original location in outside of Iola in 1993, this historic home is now located in Iola and is open for tours.
- Allen County Historical Museum. Also located in Iola this is another museum dedicated to the rich history of this area.
- Humboldt Historical Museum. The exhibits of this museum are spread among several buildings including, a one room school house, a stone house first built in 1867, a Tools of the Trade building featuring an early printing press and the Annex which features a circus exhibit as well as a tribute to Walter "Big Train" Johnson a legendary professional baseball pitcher as well as George Sweat another professional baseball player from Humboldt.
- Iola's Molly The Trolley Tour. The perfect way to see the historical sites in Iola and the surrounding towns. You can learn more at the Iola Chamber of Commerce website.