Established in 1855, Atchison County was one of the original 36 counties of Kansas. It is named after David Rice Atchison, a U.S. Senator from Missouri and pro-slavery advocate. The county seat is Atchison, Kansas.
Atchison County Attractions and Events:
- Amelia Earhart Birthplace Museum.
- Amelia Earhart Festival
- Atchison County Historical Society Museum
- Glacial Hills Scenic Byway
- Atchison Trolley
- Muchnic Art Gallery
- Atchison County Courthouse...one of thirteen courthouses designed by George P. Washburn.
- Benedictine College
- Evah Cray Home Tour
- Historic Homes of Atchison Driving Tour
- Mount St. Scolastica Chapel and Convent
- International Forest of Friendship
- Atchison Railroad Bridge and Bridge Tenders Office.
- Independence Creek Lewis and Clark Historic site.
- Atchison Santa Fe Railroad Depot