Barton County was established in 1867 and is named after Clara Barton who was the founder of the American Red Cross. The county seat is Great Bend, Kansas.
Barton County Attractions and Events:
- Cheyenne Bottoms Wildlife Area
- Quivira Wildlife Area
- Barton County Historical Museum
- Barton County Courhouse--Designed by W.E. Hulse & Company and completed in 1918 the Barton County Courthouse is a good example of Modern (Classical) Eclecticism architecture.
- Historic Homes on Broadway in Great Bend--There are several historic homes built from the mid 1800's to early 1900's.
- Crest Theater in Great Bend--This former movie theater is on the National Registor of Historic Places and now features live entertainment and special events.
- Wetlands and Wildlife National Scenic Byway
- Hoisington Historical Museum
- Hoisington Bird Sanctuary
- Daniel W. Linder home--Located 4-1/2 miles outside of Hoisington this large native limestone farm house was built in 1897.
- Old Stone Court--Located In Hoisington, Kansas this large stone home was built in 1892 by railroad engineer Joseph Boiselle who quarried and built the home himself.. For several years the second story was used as a "motel" for Missouri Pacific railroad employees.
- Bridges of Northern Barton County--These eight historic native limestone bridges were built by the WPA (Works Projects Adminstration and are listed on the National Registor of Historic Places.
- Historic Chevrolet Sign in Hoisington, Kansas--The art deco Manweiler Chevrolet building and sign in Hoisington are listed on the National Register of Historic Places and one of few dealerships that were built during World War II.
- Hoisington High School Building and Football Stadium--Both are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The High School was built in 1940 as a PWA (Public Works Adminstration) project and is a three story, blond brick, Art-Deco building that was desgined by Emporia architects Jerome Brinkman and Stanley Hagen, The stone football staduim was built in 1937-38 by the WPA and is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.