Established in 1855, Butler County is one of the original 36 counties of Kansas.It is named after Andrew Pickens Butler a United States Senator from South Carolina and advocate for Kansas statehood. The county seat is El Dorado.
Butler County Attraction and Events:
- Augusta Historical Museum
- C.N.Jones Trading Post and Log Cabin in Augusta
- Kansas Museum of Military History
- Historic Theater at Augusta, Kansas
- Beaumont Hotel--Built in 1879 and restored in 2001 the hotel is well known for its food and that fact that small airplanes can taxi right up to its doors.
- Beaumont Frisco Water Tower--Built in 1855 for the Frisco Railroad this wooden water tower is on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Old Frisco Railroad Bridge--An art deco, concrete railroad bridge built in 1935 for the Frisco Railroad.
- Prairie Rose Chuck-wagon meal and entertainment
- Pioneer Museum at Douglass, Kansas.
- Muddy Creek Bridge--a concrete reinforced bridge built between 1900 and 1910 is on the National Register of Historic Places
- Tour of the Stone Arch Bridges of Butler County.
- Andover Tornado Monument
- Cassoday Santa Fe Depot Museum.
- Butler County History Center and Kansas Oil Museum--El Dorado, Kansas
- Coutts Memorial Museum of Art--El Dorado, Kansas
- Historic Butler County Courthouse--El Dorado, Kansas. Built in 1908 this Romanesque Style Courthouse was designed by George P. Washburn and features a clock tower as well as a Goddess of Justice Statue.
- El Dorado World War II History Center
- El Dorado Lake and State Park
For more information check out the online tourism brochure for Butler County, Kansas.