Jewell County was established in 1867 and is named after Lewis R. Jewell a Union colonel and Civil War hero. The county seat is Mankato.
Jewell County Attractions and Events:
- Jewell County Historical Society—118 N. Commercial, Mankato, Kansas. Open Mid-April through Mid-October on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Tyler Chiropractic Building—201 N. Commercial Street, Mankato, Kansas. Originally a bank this brick and stone building is one of the oldest in Mankato.
- Old Limestone Jail—Mankato, Kansas. Built in 1899 the old stone Jewell County Jail is now one of several buildings owned by the Jewell County Historical Society.
- Jewell County Courthouse—This Art Deco style courthouse is the one in Kansas that was built by the WPA (Works Progress Administration). It was completed in 1936.
- Queen Anne Style Home—Located in Burr Oak is a lovely restored Queen Anne style home.
- Lovewell State Park
- Jewell State Fishing Lake