German Church Byway
Kansas has eleven roadways that have been designated as either Scenic or Historic Byways. While all of these Byways offer excellent opportunities to view scenic and or historic places throughout the state of Kansas, they are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to great side trips for those traveling through Kansas.
On a recent trip across Kansas on Interstate 70, we took a fun side trip that could easily be worthwhile of having the label of “Scenic Byway”. One possible name of this would be the “German Church Byway” as it took us to four towns that had large native stone churches built by predominantly German congregations.
We began our scenic detour by taking Exit 168 and heading south to Victoria, Kansas. Victoria was founded in 1873 as an English Colony by George Grant and named in honor of Queen Victoria of Britain. Mr. Grant had purchased some 70,000 acres of land from the Union Pacific Railroad with the plan selling large tracts to British and Scottish noblemen and it was not long before the young town of Victoria was founded. However within a few short years the severe winters, prairie fires and summer droughts brought discouragement to the first settlers and many returned home to England.